Saturday, May 18, 2013

Soft Flour Tortillas

I went shopping for tortillas last night, but I made the mistake of turning over the package and looking at the ingredient list. Wowsers.  23+ ingredients, depending on how you count them.  Needless to say, I left the store without the tortillas and decided to make my own.

The only problem with my plan is that I'm allergic to pork and the traditional recipe contains lard. Pork shows up in the darndest places.  I scoured the Internet, but most recipes called for vegetable shortening. Ha. The only time I splurge and cook with that load of chemistry is when I make Holly's Cookies.  That happens almost never.

Some recipes call for olive oil, but I kept thinking there was something to the traditional use of a fat that is solid at room temperature. Finally I found a recipe that used coconut oil, which is solid at room temperature, and it worked marvelously.  There are only 4 ingredients and it didn't take long to make.  One of the leftover tortillas even doubled as peanut butter chocolate banana crepe this afternoon.

Check it out.

Written here in case the website ever disappears.

Ingredients:
2c. AP flour
1t salt
4T (1/4c) Coconut Oil (solid)
3/4c warm milk, water or whey

Begin heating cast iron skillet or electric griddle.  Mix flour and salt.  Cut in oil.  Add liquid until it comes together.  Kneed 2 minutes and then rest for 20 (or don't).  Divide into 8 balls.  Roll them out thinly.  Cook about 30 seconds on each side.  Place in a folded towel.

1 comment:

Monica.carter said...

I am excited to try these today!!