Friday, March 18, 2011

Pizza Crust

1 c. water (room temp)
2 T Olive Oil
1 T sugar
3/4 t salt
3 c Flour*
2 1/2 t yeast (1 packet)

*I have used any number of flours here.  The recipe calls for 3c bread flour.  Sometimes I have used all purpose, but the dough isn't as stretchy (of course).  I have used half whole wheat as well.  The next time I make this, I am thinking of doing 1c. each of whole wheat, all purpose, and bread flour. 

Layer the ingredients in your bread machine as specified by the manufacturer.  Push START!

Roll out pizza crust.  I usually use 2/3 of the recipe to cover my pizza stone and the other 1/3 to make two personal size pizzas.  This gives crust thickness to my liking. 

Pierce crust with a fork.  Bake at 425* (make sure you preheat!) for 7 minutes.  "Decorate".  Bake 425 for 10 minutes. 

I have had good success with freezing prebaked crusts.  I have also stopped after the "Decorate" step and put the ready pizzas in the fridge to have a day or two later.  Freezing dough in a home freezer generally kills yeast, so I've done it, but only with limited success. 

No comments: