Sunday, December 12, 2010

Dressing (Stuffing, but not inside a bird)

This "recipe" (more like an ingredient list) is from my Oma.  She rocks.  :) 

I am only listing the ingredients that I use and trying to put in some measurements

Onion - approx 1/2 of a med one
Celery - approx 2 ribs
Green Pepper - approx 1/4-1/2
Red Pepper - approx 1/4-1/2
Sage, Mrs. Dash, black pepper, basil, parsley, celery seed, sugar
1 can cream of chicken
1 can cream of mushroom
1 c chicken broth (when I don't have any that is homemade, I just use bouillon)
1 stick butter, melted
1 stick butter, NOT melted
16 oz Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing (I use the little cubes)

Chop & sauté vegetables (you can also microwave if that is your style).  Mix everything together except the unmelted stick of butter.  Taste to ensure seasoning is as desired.  Put mixture in 9x13 glass dish or 2 8x8s.  Add water as necessary (this is the part that freaks me out).  The stuffing absorbs a lot of moisture during baking and it is kind of hard to add water during baking.  I think you want about 1/4-1/2 c.  Cut the last stick of margarine into slivers and poke into the mixture (or lay tabs on top).  Bake at 350* until golden brown.  Freezes well after baking. 

Well, hope that gets you started. :)  It's tasty, but not low calorie.  If you want to trim the calories, my suggestion would be putting only 1/2 a stick of butter on top.  Depending on your saltiness preferences and the saltiness of your broth, you might want to use unsalted butter or you might want to add salt.  Just some ideas...

No comments: