Original recipe (& reviews) here.
3/4 to 1 cup lukewarm water
2 tablespoons butter
1 large egg
3 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon instant yeast
*For best results (a smooth, slightly soft dough), use the smaller amount of water in summer (or in a humid environment), the greater amount in winter (or in a dry climate); and something in between the rest of the time.
3 tablespoons butter, melted
Place bun ingredients into bread machine in order specified by manufacturer and start the dough cycle (or do it by hand or in your mixer with a 1-2 hr rise). Upon completion, gently deflate the dough and divide into 8 pieces (perfect size for 1/3lb Bubba Burgers; make more if you like smaller burgers). Shape each piece into a round ball by pinching the bottom. Place on a parchment paper covered (or lightly greased) baking sheet. Allow to relax for a minute or two and then flatten with the palm/heed of your hand so that they are at least 3" in diameter. Cover and let rise for 1 hour, or until noticeably puffy. Brush buns with half of melted butter. Bake at 375* for 15-18 minutes. Brush with remaining butter for a soft crust. Cool buns on a rack.
Intended future modifications:
- Try this as a sandwich bread loaf as some commenters suggested.
- Try brushing with water after baking. Or at least unsalted butter. The greasiness/griminess was unpleasant in the hand, even though the taste was wonderful.
- Try decreasing sugar or replacing with honey.
- Replace some of the flour with whole wheat.
- Try an egg wash (white + 1/4 c. water; add extra yolk to dough) with sesame seeds.