Saturday, July 23, 2011

Smoothie Secrets & Slushie Recipe

I make smoothies in the cheapest blender ever.  Want my secrets?

First, start with plain yogurt, a banana and add-ins (flax seed or protein powder or whatever).  Puree.  This should become pure liquid.  This is the secret.  The liquid will be the conveyer of the frozen fruit.

Next, add frozen fruit (preferably frozen in season so you don't need extra sweeteners).  Pulse this on ice crush mode for a little bit.  Then switch to puree.  It takes a little practice to get the right switchover point.  You should be able to eat this smoothie with a spoon.  Take that, Smoothie King!

So, I was reading a favorite blog and ran across a recipe that helped me use up some watermelon that I was tired of looking at.  I used the ingredient list and completely ignored their directions.  Check out their recipe here

Combine 1/3 c orange juice, 1/2 T lime juice, 1/2 T honey, and 1 1/2 c watermelon and puree.  Use the method above to work in about 1 c frozen strawberries.  Best slushie ever.  Take that, 7-eleven!!

No comments: