Monday, March 29, 2010

Mayonnaise

I'm so excited.  I'm making homemade mayo tonight.  Wish me luck.  I'll report back the results.

Done!

The cooking for engineers website had a recipe that I used.   It turned out OK.  I think I will do vinegar instead of lemon juice next time as I thought the lemon flavor was kind of overwhelming.  I'm not sure I got mine to set up as nice as I was supposed to.  I used a food processor and I think the blade didn't go close enough to the bottom so it didn't emulsify right at first.  Anyway.  I used it on cabbage to make slaw and it is OK.  Again, the lemon flavor is too powerful.  I do have photographic evidence, but I'm too lazy to upload it now.  When I get the pictures off the camera next, I'll post it here.  I'm planning to use the leftovers for making tuna salad.  Lemon flavor shouldn't be too bad for that one.  Who doesn't love lemon on their tuna?  It's a standard in pretty much every tuna recipe I've ever made.  The other thing, that might have been better had I successfully created the full emulsion is that there is a somewhat significant oil flavor.  I bought light olive oil instead of extra light, so that is probably my fault.  The other thing I have read is to do a combination of canola and olive oil.  Anyway, it was a great experiment.  Not many people can say they have made mayonnaise.  I think I will do it again sometime.  Perhaps I will do it by hand for practice in seeing how it should look at the various stages of the process.

No comments: